“The Spirit of 1776″ (Grandmother Edna Kearns’ suffrage campaign wagon) is displayed in the Hall of Governors at the NYS capitol in Albany through May 2012. What a dream come true, and something so many of us have been visualizing for so long. The exhibit honoring the accomplishments of NYS women is under the auspices of Governor Andrew Cuomo’s office, and here’s the press release distributed to spread the word. And other information: Link #1, Link #2. The exhibit opened during Women’s History Month, and what a perfect way to celebrate. And don’t forget to take a look at the article by Tara Bloyd (Edna Kearns’ great-granddaughter) that appeared in “Albany Kid” this past week. Its focus is little Serena Kearns who played a role in the movement as a suffrage poster child.
The suffrage campaign wagon used by Edna Buckman Kearns.
- New York State Legislative Resolution designing July 1, 2013 the "Spirit of 1776" Wagon Day. suffragewagon.org/?p=7323 #wmnhist 12 hours ago
- Grandmother Edna Kearns' "Spirit of 1776" wagon gets media attention 100 years after the fact. news10.com/story/22631348… #wmnhist 15 hours ago
- A video about the suffrage campaign wagon everyone's been hearing about. youtube.com/watch?v=4do9HZ… #wmnhist 2 days ago
- July 1, 2013 will be the "Spirit of 1776" Wagon Day in New York State. suffragewagon.org/?p=7319 #wmnhist 3 days ago
- What was suffrage activist Edna Kearns doing on June 27, 1913? Grassroots organizing, that's what. suffragewagon.org/?p=7312 #wmnhist 6 days ago
- 100 years since suffrage wagon "Spirit of 1776"left Manhattan. Celebrate with video. Ode to wagon. youtube.com/watch?v=SBXBu3… 1 week ago
Member: National Storytelling Network
Let’s Link Up on Facebook