English suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst trumpeted the spirit of 1776 in her famous 1913 speech, “Freedom or Death,” when on a speaking tour in the United States: “We found that all the fine phrases about freedom and liberty were entirely for male consumption, and that they did not in any way apply to women. When it was said taxation without representation is tyranny, when it was ‘Taxation of men without representation is tyranny,’ everybody quite calmly accepted the fact that women had to pay taxes and even were sent to prison if they failed to pay them – quite right. We found that ‘Government of the people, by the people and for the people’ . . . was again only for male consumption; half of the people were entirely ignored; it was the duty of women to pay their taxes and obey the laws and look as pleasant as they could under the circumstances. In fact, every principle of liberty enunciated in any civilised country on earth, with very few exceptions, was intended entirely for men, and when women tried to force the putting into practice of these principles, for women, then they discovered they had come into a very, very unpleasant situation indeed.” Entire text of speech.
The suffrage campaign wagon used by Edna Buckman Kearns.
- Suffrage news notes for December 2013 highlights UN video and what's happening in the UK, plus more. suffragewagon.org/?p=8092 3 days ago
- A 4th birthday for Suffrage Wagon News Channel. Video and centennial links. #wmnhist suffragewagon.org/?p=8085 6 days ago
- Washing sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving: Marguerite's Musings. suffragewagon.org/?p=8079 1 week ago
- The saga of the lemon meringue pie, women's suffrage style. #wmnhist suffragewagon.org/?p=8071 1 week ago
- The "Spirit of 1776" suffrage wagon under fire 100 years ago. #wmnhist suffragewagon.org/?p=8069 2 weeks ago
- 12-year-old who calls herself a "suffragette" takes on NC governor. bayoubuzz.com/us-news/item/5… 3 weeks ago
Member: National Storytelling Network
Let’s Link Up on Facebook