My niece Hana, shown here, represents the fourth generation in my family to sit in the “Spirit of 1776,” my grandmother’s suffrage campaign wagon. It was a tradition in my family to be photographed in the wagon, and it was also a way of passing the torch of story to the next generation. Few summers passed without my mother gathering up us kids, marching us over to my grandfather’s house. He opened the garage door, dragged out grandmother Edna’s suffrage campaign wagon, and my mother took our photos. Of course it took me many years to get to the point where I was ready to pass the torch to the next generation, and it takes many forms. In this podcast, I’m being interviewed about my grandmother by Marzia Dessi, a student at Northern New Mexico College, during February 2011. Marzia’s interested in our history, the woman’s suffrage movement, and how the past relates to young women today. Listen in!
The suffrage campaign wagon used by Edna Buckman Kearns.
- New York State Legislative Resolution designing July 1, 2013 the "Spirit of 1776" Wagon Day. suffragewagon.org/?p=7323 #wmnhist 7 hours ago
- Grandmother Edna Kearns' "Spirit of 1776" wagon gets media attention 100 years after the fact. news10.com/story/22631348… #wmnhist 10 hours ago
- A video about the suffrage campaign wagon everyone's been hearing about. youtube.com/watch?v=4do9HZ… #wmnhist 2 days ago
- July 1, 2013 will be the "Spirit of 1776" Wagon Day in New York State. suffragewagon.org/?p=7319 #wmnhist 2 days ago
- What was suffrage activist Edna Kearns doing on June 27, 1913? Grassroots organizing, that's what. suffragewagon.org/?p=7312 #wmnhist 6 days ago
- 100 years since suffrage wagon "Spirit of 1776"left Manhattan. Celebrate with video. Ode to wagon. youtube.com/watch?v=SBXBu3… 1 week ago
Member: National Storytelling Network
Let’s Link Up on Facebook