On the 90th anniversary of the passage of the 19th amendment, the newspaper covering Nassau County on Long Island featured Edna Kearns and a roundup of the number of women holding elected positions on Long Island. Check it out! I’m sure Edna thought it perfectly reasonable that Rockville Centre, where she lived, should have a woman mayor, Mary Bossart. While an accomplishment, it should be noted that Mary Bossart was elected in 2007 as the first woman mayor for Rockville Centre. She served as a village trustee for eight years.
The suffrage campaign wagon used by Edna Buckman Kearns.
- Bibliography for Edna Kearns and "Spirit of 1776" wagon. suffragewagon.org/?p=6998 5 hours ago
- Centennial of suffragette Emily Davison's death, still controversial. suffragewagon.org/?p=7060#wmnhist 5 hours ago
- Another try at Part II of Ken's piece on suffrage wagons #wmnhist suffragewagon.org/?p=7135 5 hours ago
- Part II of Kenneth Florey's article on suffrage wagons. #wmnhist 5 hours ago
- Join the fight for zero! : shar.es/Zivjf via @globalzero 6 hours ago
- Motorcycle ride to Seneca Falls, NY, plus May 2013 suffrage news notes. suffragewagon.org/?p=6682 #women #wmnhist 1 week ago
Member: National Storytelling Network
Let’s Link Up on Facebook